Making Molds With Silicone Rubber

I have been doing clay modeling for many years. I was quite happy making large and small figurines with clay, and they turned out quite clearly detailed and appealing. However, recently I came across many mold makers who were  (to many “quite” in a row) enthusiastic about silicone rubber and how it can be used to reproduce almost anything. 
 
https://siliconemoldartmolds.wordpress.com/2017/07/21/quick-silicone-molds-made-possible/

I wanted to try out the product and looked up the instructions on the EnvironMolds website www.artmolds.com. The illustrated directions were clear which further motivated me to give it a try. I ordered MoldRite 25 silicone for my task and it was delivered shortly.

I decided to make a mold of a small figurine that I had already fashioned with clay. I used a cup for the mold box and glued the model on the bottom. Then I had to accurately weigh and thoroughly mix the silicone rubber and catalyst in a bowl. Pouring the mixture in a high, thin stream into the cup helped me to avoid most of the air bubbles. I covered the figurine completely with silicone rubber and pricked the few air bubbles that rose to the surface. 
 
 
The silicone mold had set properly within a few hours and I demolded it to get the silicone rubber mold with all the indentations and undercuts captured perfectly. After that I used the same silicone mold to make many more figurines and each turned out absolutely identical to the original one. The process was easy and fun too!

2 Response to "Making Molds With Silicone Rubber"

  1. JR Vitug says:
    February 18, 2019 at 2:33 AM

    great blog!

  2. JR Vitug says:
    March 24, 2019 at 8:08 AM

    I am grateful for this blog to distribute knowledge about this significant topic. Mold Testing Association

Post a Comment